turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dittel99

1099 and w2 employee of same company - claiming mileage for 1099 work?

I work in the office of a rental community.  Full time employee of company - admin in office dayshift. receive W2.

I work as independent contractor to clean units and do light maintenance in evenings and days off as needed.

I am driving back to the community as needed in evenings and days off to do my contracting work, can I claim mileage when driving in to do cleanings/maintenance work at the different condominiums which are in the community.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

An independent contractor may claim vehicle mileage for driving to and from a work site.

An independent contractor who reports income on a 1099, will report self-employment income and expense on an IRS form Schedule C Profit or Loss From Business.

To report vehicle expenses under Self-employment income and expenses, follow these directions.

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click Wages & Income.
  • You may need to click Add more income.
  • Scroll down to Self-employment  click on the dropdown menu.
  • Click Start/Revisit to the right of Self-employment income and expenses.
  • At the screen Your 2023 self-employed work summary, click Edit to the right of the self-employment activity.
  • Click Edit to the right of Vehicle.

You may report vehicle expenses using the standard mileage rate or the actual expenses method.  You calculate expenses using the IRS’s standard mileage rate (65.5 cents per mile for 2023, 67 cents per mile for 2024) or by adding up the actual expenses (gas, oil, tires, repairs, etc.) for the business use of the vehicle.

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dittel99

I had read somewhere if your 1099 and W2 is the same location that you cannot claim mileage?

Just wanting to be sure.  Location of office is at a condominium property where I work in office and come back to clean/maintenance as needed in evenings and off days.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

You are not just walking from your W-2 job to your 1099 job - you are driving home from your W-2 job, going shopping, whatever, then driving back to do your1099 work.

It would be the same if your 1099 job were somewhere else. So long as you ae not conflating your mileage for the 1099 job with the commute for the W-2 job (never mind that they are to the same place), just review James' answer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies