turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wrong state listed on W-2

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to file my and my spouse's state taxes this year. Here's the situation:

I lived in Maryland from Jan 1st to Jan 30th, I then moved to Washington State. My spouse was active duty Navy and her Home of record was Maryland from Jan 1st to Feb 28th. But she moved to Washington State (stationed there because of military) with me Jan 30th as well. We established residence in Washington on Jan 30th.

My W4 was never updated properly, and Maryland taxes were deducted for all of 2019. My spouse had Maryland taxes deducted for January and February.

How do I make sure we both get back the proper refund since we paid too much tax to Maryland?

I put in part time resident for both of us and gave the dates of Jan 1st - Jan 30th. Now it's asking the Maryland wages. Of course the amount is wrong on the W2. Would I just estimate our wages for Jan and enter that in?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Yes, with the exception that you should calculate, rather than estimate, the wages paid while you were living in Maryland.  Use old pay stubs, or calculate based on your rate of pay (hourly or salary) times the number of "units" (hours, weeks, months) while you lived and worked in Maryland.

Note that, as explained in the TurboTax Help article at this link, your spouse must file DD Form 2058 with her local finance officer to change her home of record from Maryland to Washington.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Yes, with the exception that you should calculate, rather than estimate, the wages paid while you were living in Maryland.  Use old pay stubs, or calculate based on your rate of pay (hourly or salary) times the number of "units" (hours, weeks, months) while you lived and worked in Maryland.

Note that, as explained in the TurboTax Help article at this link, your spouse must file DD Form 2058 with her local finance officer to change her home of record from Maryland to Washington.

Perfect, thanks so much! One quick question, how does Maryland know that I moved to Washington when I say did and that they owe me the refund?

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, Maryland doesn't know that you moved when you said you did and you may be asked to prove that you moved at that time. Be sure to document your move with everything you can find and keep that documentation for at least three years.

Good documentation includes your wife's orders, receipts for moving expenses, change of address orders with the Post Office, utility bills, etc.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies