Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

venardos33
Returning Member

Working for via state agency as home care giver

I just started working for the state basically help at home branch and Illinois for my mother for home health care. They are not taking out federal or FICA taxes out of my check. Now I have not received a check yet I just received a pay stub. They're full weeks behind on my pay so today they're supposed to pay me evidently the check's there I need to know what I need to do like is this not taxable because I'm told it is taxable by the union and I'm told by the insurance company that's paying for my mother's care.

I filled out tax forms, and as I said they are taking out State and Medicaid but they are not taking out federal and they are not taking it social security. The basis is I want to make sure that this is either exempt or it's a mistake because if it's a mistake then they need to take the check send it back get the federal and come taken out of it the social security taken out of it and send it back to me cuz I will not owe the federal income tax people money at the end of the year for a job I'm hired for this is not self-employment. Any answers would be awesome thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Working for via state agency as home care giver

There are certain situations where payments to home caregivers are tax exempt, but it does depend upon your specific situation.

For example, if you moved into your mom's home to take care of her, then any payments received under a state Medicaid program would be excludable from gross income and no federal income taxes would need to be withheld.  FICA taxes are typically assessed if you are an employee or contractor, but again, this will also depend upon the specific situation. 

Please see this link from the IRS for more details explaining when the income would excludable.

When you prepare you tax returns in the future using TurboTax, this link provides instructions on how to enter the income and report it as excludable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies