Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mf29
Returning Member

Withholding when moving states

I had a question regarding this. I am moving to Indiana in October or November however I will still be working in Kentucky as I have my own business there and will be commuting back. I pay myself on payroll and withhold Kentucky taxes currently. I know they are reciprocal states but I am wondering if I need to switch to withholding Indiana as soon as I move. And if so, how will I go about filing my taxes since I will have been a resident of Kentucky through move (and withholding Kentucky) and then a resident of Indiana (withholding Indiana rest of year)? My husband is filing with me too but he’s a student so he has 0 income. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

What type of business do you have; sole proprietor  (you file Schedule C), S corp or C corp?

The reciprocal agreement applies to wages, salaries and commissions.  It does not apply to self employment income. So, most likely, you still withhold KY. IN will give you a credit for tax paid to KY.  

Mf29
Returning Member

I am a S Corp. I pay myself on payroll. 

Mf29
Returning Member

I get a W-2 as well. 

TomD8
Level 15

Since you will be moving this year, for 2024 you will file a part-year resident tax return in each of the two states.  Since you are receiving W-2 compensation, the IN-KY reciprocity does apply.  KY can tax all your income prior to the move; IN can tax all your income after the move.  So yes, after the move you should begin withholding for IN.

How do I file a part-year state return? (intuit.com)

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies