Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WI 1
Level 2

Wisconsin Itemized Deduction Credit and Schedule SB not working?

I e-filed my Federal taxes with the Standard Deduction. I used the EasyStep to answer the Medical Expense questions (correctly, near as I can tell i.e. Long Term Care insurance in correct section, not Long Term Care expenses and some other.)  

I noticed the EasyStep Medical Expense answers were not carried over to the WI Form 1, Schedule B Line 6 Medical care insurance.  Later, I also realized that the Itemized Deduction Credit, (Form 1, Line 11) was 0, again indicating that those and perhaps others items were not carried over correctly (because I didn't have a Federal Schedule A???)

The WI DOR instructions state:

"If you did not itemize deductions for federal tax purposes, use the amounts which would be deductible if you had itemized deductions. To determine the amounts to use, complete a federal Schedule A (Form 1040). Write “Wisconsin” at the top of this Schedule A and enclose it with your Form 1."

Is this fixable within TurboTax? Is there a way to add a fake Federal Schedule A to e-file, or must this be done manually? Did I miss an Alert in Turbotax that would work of this 4 figure dollar error?

(A similar 2019 thread that does doesn't provide a solution is here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/discussion/wisconsin-itemized-deduction-credit-for-201.... My 2017-2020 returns do seem to be correct though I did itemize Federal deductions for those.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Wisconsin Itemized Deduction Credit and Schedule SB not working?

It's 2/2/2023 and I am working on my 2022 taxes, and have the exact same problem.  On the Fed return I am taking the standard deduction, but entered all the detailed numbers that would appear on 1040 Sch A, so that they flow down to the WI State return.   My Medical INSURANCE expenses should flow to WI Form 1, Sch SB line 6, but the DON'T.  It's identical for Long Term Care Insurance expenses, which flow to WI Form 1, Sch SB line 7, which is WORKING. 

To recap, NOT working for Medical Insurance, but IS working for Long Term Care Insurance.

Regarding the WI Form 1 Instructions to submit a 1040 Schedule A with "Wisconsin" written at the top -- if TurboTax was calculating the WI taxes correctly, I'd risk just eFiling directly from TurboTax and give them a Schedule A after-the-fact if they really request it.  But since TurboTax is not calculating the WI taxes correctly (it shorts my refund by over $100 in my case), I'm going to have to do a paper return for WI.

Thanks for documenting this issue almost a year ago -- too bad it's still not fixed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies