Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxcouto

Why is TurboTax including a Form 1-NR/PY I'm a full time MA resident with RI source income. My information is correct. I believe this is preventing me from efiling.

I double check to make sure that the information I add was correct.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Why is TurboTax including a Form 1-NR/PY I'm a full time MA resident with RI source income. My information is correct. I believe this is preventing me from efiling.

You must have made an entry that indicated to the TurboTax program that you're not a full-year resident.

According to Who Must File in the 2023 Form 1-NR/PY Instructions:

You are a full-year resident if your residence (domicile) was in Massachusetts for the entire taxable year or if you maintained a permanent place of abode in Massachusetts and during the year spent more than 183 days, in the aggregate, in the state. If you fit this description, you should file Form 1, Massachusetts Resident Income Tax Return.

To check your residency entries in the federal portion of TurboTax Online: 

1. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  2. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown on the right side of the Personal Info box, then select Continue or Review/Edit
  3. On the Personal info summary screen, select Edit to the right of your name
  4. On the Your personal info screen, verify or correct your State of residence (on December 31, 2023)
  5. Verify that your response to the I lived in another state in 2023 question was No
  6. If you're married, then, when you get back to the Personal info summary screen, verify your spouse's information by selecting Edit next to their name, and reviewing their information on the next screen

Next, check your information in the Massachusetts portion of the program: 

1. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  2. On the  Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown on the right side of the State Taxes box, then select StartContinue, or Review/Edit
  3. If the  You've already got a head start on state taxes screen appears, select Let's get started.  Otherwise, in the left pane, select Prepare State
  4. Proceed through the screens until you come to the Status of your state returns screen
  5. Select  StartContinue or Edit to the right of Massachusetts
  6. Proceed through the state screens until you get to the Confirm Your Massachusetts Residency screen.  If it's displaying  Massachusetts Resident Tax Return, select Continue.  Otherwise, select Change Residency
  7. If you selected Change Residency, then, on the Massachusetts Main Form screen, select the bullet next to Resident (Form 1), then select Continue
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies