Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Which state taxes Decedent’s IRA distribution?

I am trying enter info about my share of proceeds from decedent’s Ohio IRA that was distributed by the estate  to beneficiaries… The estate issued a federal K-1 and an OH K-1.  Entering the federal tax info is straightforward , but the state taxation issue is not.  I am a nonresident of OH ( i’m a resident of CA ).  When doing my CA income in turbo, the program asks if there is any info on my CA K-1 (issued for CA)  that is different than the Federal K-1… but I didn’t get  a CA K-1 - I got an Ohio IT k-1 (note, the OH IT k-1 was mostly blank except for estate and beneficiary identification, total % ownership, and a total appointment of zero). And for Ohio, the program does not ask about an OH k-1 at all …  The program does ask if I have “business income” in OH and  I could enter the estate info as a “business / entity “ and indicate my “ % ownership” ( ie the % share of the inheritance that was on the it k-1) … .  But ultimately the question is this - is $ distributed by an OH estate from a taxable account (decedent’s IRA)  “income from a pass through entity doing business in Ohio”? If not, should I even be filing in OH.?  The program so far is defaulting to having CA tax the proceeds, but I’m uncertain whether this is correct or not…. Any insight would be greatly appreciated 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies