Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

calalb

Where in turbotax I can input information for New York form IT-237

Our building is a landmark building and we have received a tax credit from The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation that needs to be applied to IT-237. Where in TurboTax I can apply this information?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

This information may be dated (I last did this 2 years ago, I think), but in case it is helpful: At least 2 years ago, TurboTax did not support form IT 237. What I did: fill IT 237 out separately (downloaded from the NYS site), fill in the relevant information into TurboTax without attaching the actual form, then print everything out and mail it USPS to the NYS tax department. The key thing I learned was that NYS will accept *either* TurboTax filing *or* physical mail, but not both -- you can't file with TurboTax and send IT 237 separately. However, you can have TT calculate everything for you as usual, then print out the whole packet and send by mail. Hope this helps. 

ddw119

Bummer. Turbo Tax should include It-237 form. Historic tax credits are not that unusual. Thanks. Donna

To get to the correct place in the program, first you should handle the historic credit on the Federal side. 

Type Form 3468 in the search box and go to the investment credit section where you claim the historical rehabilitation credit. Follow the prompts for entry. The credit is claimed in Part 3, Page 2 of the form.

When you are done with Federal, you can go to the State section and click on "credits/deductions.  If you have trouble finding the form you need (IT-237) you  switch to forms mode and search for it there.

Here's how to switch to forms mode for Windows 

Here's how to switch to forms mode for Mac

New York State Historic Homeownership Rehabilitation Credit The Historic Homeownership Rehabilitation Credit program offers a state income tax credit equal to 20% of qualified rehabilitation expenses associated with repair, maintenance, and upgrades to historic homes.

@ddw119

Dear Renee. Thanks for your note but I don't fully understand. New York State Form IT-237 is a form for a New York State tax credit -- there is no federal tax credit associated with it. In addition, my understanding (but correct me if I'm mistaken) is that Turbo Tax does not currently support Form IT-237. Is there some "work around" to this lack of support?

steve51523
Returning Member

this does not apply for the NYS historic tax credit which needs form it 237 to be filed. TT does not support this form so how can I file my return?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The Form IT-237 is not included in the program. You would need to fill it out separately and mail it in with your return. The instructions for IT-237.

You would have to be in the desktop program and override state information, which would void the accuracy guarantee. See How do I switch from TurboTax Online to TurboTax CD/Download?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
steve51523
Returning Member

@AmyC how do i print my NYS tax return to be mailed? the numbers from TT will all be off since they are not counting the tax credit. do I have to fill out just a NYS tax return somewhere?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If you are using online, the program will not be correct. You would have to use the desktop version to correct the numbers. Otherwise, you would need to use a different software.

In the desktop version, you select Forms mode, make corrections and print.

For online, see How do I preview my TurboTax Online return before filing? and you can print forms. 

Switching products is easy and no information is lost or needs to be entered again.

steve51523
Returning Member

@AmyC @Ok so switch to desktop, update the form then e file the federal return and mail in the NYS with the it237?

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will want to switch to desktop, make the corrections, e-file the federal return, then mail the New York return.  The mailing instructions will be printed with the New York return once you have completed the return.

@steve51523 

steve51523
Returning Member

how do i correct the NYS tax return to take into account the credit?

steve51523
Returning Member

@BrittanyS how do I override the form on the desktop Mac version? It won’t let me edit the it-201

steve51523
Returning Member

Why isn’t anyone responding????

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

In the CD/Download TurboTax software, to override an entry in forms mode using a Mac, click in the entry field you wish to change and edit it. 

Not all entries can be overridden.

An override can cause the automatic calculations to break in unexpected ways, even in places that you think are not related to the override. An override cancels the accuracy guarantee and also may prevent e-filing. You can use an override to experiment, but you should not need an override in a return that you are going to file. If you need an override, you might be trying to make TurboTax do something that it is not designed to do or does not support.

[Edited 04/19/23| 9:27am PST] 

@steve51523 (edited) 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies