Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

handdm77

When filing Virginia State Tax AND mailing instead of e-filing a key statement is not asked in Turbo Tax

I file my Virginia state tax return (VA760) and due to my retirement in 2022 now owe taxes (quarterly payments) instead of getting a refund.  Hence, I now file my taxes via paper copy (saving the filing cost) and pay my owed taxes on the state tax site.  It turns out that in late summer last year I received a tax deficiency notice from the state for not paying my taxes due last year (which was incorrect).  After much discussion with the state office and the local revenue director, it turned out that a box on state tax return was marked (by default) as N.  Specifically, Amount you Owe Will Pay by Credit/Debit  Card N.   I am required by the state to pay electronically. 

Ultimately that state corrected their files (no penalty assessed). I specifically watched for this question to come up during 2023 tax file.  It never did.  After printing out the form, I had to manually adjust N -> Y before reprinting the state tax form. 

Maybe not a lot of people experience this, but it was a nuisance and a lot of time on the phone and a visit to revenue director (fortunately for me in the same town I lived in) before it got corrected last year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies