Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the Certificate of Permanent and Total Disability in WV taxes??

I have already been approved for social security disability, why  is WV asking me to bother my doctor with this form?? Can i just fill this out myself? It's telling me i have to mail in the form WITH my return to prevent processing delays. Advice??
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

What is the Certificate of Permanent and Total Disability in WV taxes??

If you're permanently and totally disabled, you can claim a modification of up to $8,000 of your income due to the disability.  However, to claim the deduction for the first time, you'll need submit a completed Schedule H, signed by your physician and certifying that you're permanently and totally disabled.

You can fill out and print it yourself on the Certificate of Permanent and Total Disability page of your West Virginia interview in TurboTax.  However, you'll then need to get it signed by your physician, certifying that you're permanently and totally disabled.

You'll need to mail a Schedule H with your return to avoid delays. An e-filed return won't include the signed Schedule H.  So, if you electronically file your return, the state will need to reach out to you for the signed Schedule H. 

It's beyond the scope of this forum to speculate on West Virginia's rationale behind requiring you to file Schedule H

See If I am on disability, how do I claim the modification to my income? on the How Do I for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies