Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is double-taxed income in "Summary of Taxes Paid to Other States"?

The credit is automatically calculated, but I was wondering if it's possible that Turbo Tax miscalculated the "Double-taxed income" amount after completing the nonresident return?

The "Tax Paid" amount it transferred over was correct, however the Double-taxed Income amount it transferred over seems odd, and I wonder if I need to correct it.

It's an amount that's not "Total 5% income" nor "Taxable 5% income" from the Summary of Taxes (MA non-resident, I am NJ full-year resident).

Instead. when I preview the PDF of my taxes, I see that that the amount Turbo Tax automatically calculated as Double-taxed Income is from Line 3 from 2023 Schedule NTS-L-NRPY, which was Total 5.0% Income minus an Adjustment to income (which was Line 10 of 2023 Schedule Y ---> Student Loan Interest).

I was under the impression that Double-taxed income was supposed to be the "Taxable 5% income" amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Since each state has their own rules, the income from the nonresident state is often adjusted for the resident state rules.

• Each state calculates taxable income differently. 
  • Each state has its own tax rate/ system.
  • You get the lowest of both categories as a tax credit.

You get credit for the lower state tax on the lowest taxable amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I guess my question is, did Turbo Tax make a mistake when it auto calculated my double-taxed income ... and should I edit it?

When I go through Tax Tools and view the Tax Summary of my MA return, I see info for

• Total 5% Income (which is just MA wages),
  • Total 5% Deductions,
  • Total 5% Exemptions,
  • Taxable 5% Income .... which is from deducting both the aforementioned Deductions and Exemptions from Income

I know how Total 5% Exemptions was calculated. And I know how Total 5% Deductions was calculated.

Total 5% Deductions consisted of:

• "Retirement Payments" (in my case, withheld Social Security Tax and Medicare Tax )
  • Student Loan Interest
  • Undergraduate Student Loan Interest

The double-tax income Turbo Tax calculated was simply MA Wages - Student Loan Interest (just Student Loan Interest, not Undergraduate Student Loan Interest)

I can see on my Form 1-NR-PY through lines 12-25 :

• TOTAL 5.0% INCOME
  • 5.0% INCOME AFTER DEDUCTIONS
  • 5.0% INCOME AFTER EXEMPTIONS
  • TOTAL TAXABLE 5.0% INCOME

Should Double-Taxed Income actually just be the Taxable 5% Income OR Total 5% Income (which was MA wages)?

Did Turbo Tax make a mistake?

@AmyC 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies