Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I remove a state tax that I don't live in or have never worked in?

I accidentally added Alabama and cant remove it for some reason
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
GinaTM

You can delete your TurboTax Online state return as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version):

1. Sign in to your return, if you're not already signed in.
    (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select the orange Take me to my return button.)
  2. Click State Taxes near the top of your screen, and then Select Your State Returns.
  3. On that screen, click the Delete link right next to the Edit button, and then answer Yes.

If you don't see the Edit or Delete button on the Your State Returns screen and haven't paid or registered, please do the following:

1. Click State Taxes.
  2. Select the Your State Returns screen.
  3. Click Start next to the state you want to delete.
  4. After the transfer of the information completes, click Continue.
  5. Once the next screen has loaded, click State Taxes and then select Your State Returns.
  6. Click Delete next to the state that you want deleted.
  7. Click Yes.

In some cases, you won't see the option to delete, just Edit and Start Over. This is because you either already paid for your state or registered your free version while that state was attached to your return.

what if I have already registered? is there anything I can do/
GinaTM

I understand that you need to delete the Alabama State return because you accidentally attached it but because you have registered, you care correct; it wont let you delete it.

However, here is what you can do:

In some cases, you won't see the option to delete, just Edit and Start Over. ( This is because you either already paid for your state or registered your free version while that state was attached to your return.)

To Edit and Start Over:  (NOTE: use caution so that you do not Clear and start over because THAT Clears EVERYTHING, INCLUDING FEDERAL, and you would have to re-enter all Data again.
Go to edit , click the edit pencil icon beside the state you want to remove, then delete all the info. If that doesn't work, start over and only enter the relevant state(s)

Here is additional information to get to the Edit portion if you need help finding it.

Yes, you can. Please follow these steps below:

Login to your TurboTax account.
    In the Welcome Home box, click on the My TurboTax tab at the top and then My Tax Timeline
    In the SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO section, click Add a state. (This will get you to the State tab where your state return is)
    Click on the State Taxes tab.
    Click Continue to edit and/or complete your state taxes.

it still doesn't allow me to remove the state from my form. I even tried to use CLEAR AND START OVER to redo the whole thing but all I get is n error message that says "You cannot clear your return.
Once you register your tax return, or pay any TurboTax fees, we can no longer clear and start over."
GinaTM

What if you try to delete the state or any Alabama forms/worksheets by doing this:
Go to "My Account" > "Tools"
Under the Tools Center, select "Delete a Form"
Please tell me if this works
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies