Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I enter under double taxation and total tax paid to non-resident state?

Worked on Non-Resident State Tax Return first before Resident State Tax Return.  Under Resident State Tax Return, what do I enter under the "Double-Taxed income" entry and the "Total Tax Paid to (Non-Resident state)" entries?   There are amounts automatically there (for the double-taxed income, it's the same amount that is my net profit on my Non-Resident State Tax Return, and for the total tax paid, there is also an automatic figure).  Next to these are empty boxes to enter an amount if it's different.  What do I enter for both entries?  Do I leave them blank because the automatic figures that are there are presumably correct?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can leave the boxes blank if the amount that TurboTax calculated is correct. The boxes give you a chance to change the amounts. You mentioned that the amount that TurboTax calculated was the net profit. Is that the amount of income that you made in your non-resident state?

Please review the TurboTax article Multiple States - Figuring What's Owed When You Live and Work in More Than One State for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your quick and helpful response!!  The amount is what I calculated for my non-resident state income (it's my gross income minus expenses).  Is my calculation correct:  gross income minus expenses?  Can I include other taxes paid, such as general excise taxes and estimate taxes paid to subtract from gross income (not real-estate taxes since there is another entry for the real estate taxes paid) ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies