Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

frank g1

w-2 state income incorrect

Moved job and domicile from Virginia to Tennesse (no state income tax) during 2023. 

My company records did not reflect this until later in the year.  They have greatly overstated my Virginia income.  They refuse to provide a corrected w-2. 

How should I file my taxes with correct state income, while avoiding an audit when the state sees a different income between w-2 reported and my Part Year Tax filing?

and should I contact the IRS because company refuses to correct?  Which is what I think I should do to possibly prevent an audit.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

w-2 state income incorrect

It's common for employers to be late in updating an employee's information when the employee moves to a different state during the tax year - resulting in incorrect information in Boxes 15-17 of the employee's W-2.

My recommendation is to enter your W-2 as is.  Then, on your part-year resident Virginia tax return, allocate the correct amount of income to Virginia (do not change the withholding amount in Box 17).  ALL the income you earned prior to the date you began living in TN is taxable by Virginia.   Virginia will refund any excess withholding.  (My answer assumes that you had no income from VA after your move.)

If VA questions your return, simply explain what happened just as you did here.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies