Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

akorna

Virignia State Taxes filed electronically with incorrect Federal Return

My wife and I live in different states and I have been filing Federal as MFJ and then preparing mock Federal Tax MFS to generate my Virginia Tax return.  I usually file the State return by mail attaching the as electronically filed Federal return.  I accidently files my State retun electronically with the mock Federal return and it was accepted.  How do I go about filing an amended return by mail?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Once the federal is processed and completed, you can e-file an amended return. Since the state was filed with the correct federal return, no amended form is needed for the state.

See How do I amend my federal tax return for this year?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
akorna

Thanks for the reply.  The Federal was accepted.  I generated a "Mock" Federal in order to get the MFS state return by removing all of the income/deductions exclusive to my wife who lives in another state.  In  prior years I printed the as-filed Federal and include in the mail-in return for the state (per Turbo Tax instructions).  This year I accidently efiled the state, so I assume the uploaded state had the mock Federal attached.  The state return is correct, but the accompanying Federal does not match as-filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies