Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ihatetaxes99
Returning Member

Virginia Taxes Filed, Tax Due shown by TurboTax is wrong according to Virginia.

Hi,

I have completed and filed my federal and State of Virginia return.

TTax is showing I owe $ 2283.00, however when I logged into my State of Virginia tax portal it reports I owe

$ 2410.88.  I called and spoke to a rep from Virginia and they stated TTax is incorrect on the amount I owe.

Could I please get an explanation on why Virginia is showing a larger tax due amount then the TTax program?

The rep stated I did not pay enough taxes on my earned income.  Isn't that what TTax is suppose to calculate?

Thank you,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Normally when a state makes an adjustment to your tax return you will receive a letter of explanation from the state.

From the Virginia tax website:

"If your tax return had one or more errors, we may need to adjust your return leading to a different refund amount than you claimed on your return. We will send you a letter explaining the adjustments we made and how they affected your refund."

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/wheres-my-refund

The adjustment Virginia made to your return may or may not be TurboTax's fault.  The letter should explain.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
ihatetaxes99
Returning Member

Thank you for the reply, however this is taxes due, not a refund.

The rep stated that TTax did not calculate the proper amount of tax due based on our reported AGI.

So to me, that a program issue not using the correct calculations from the state of Virginia.

I was getting ready to send in the amount owed based on TTax, but after I checked, it appears TTax is not correct.

Thank you

TomD8
Level 15

Nevertheless, Virginia did change your tax return and I do expect that you'll be receiving a letter of explanation as to what exactly was the error.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies