Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Virginia non-resident tax filing inquiry

I permanently live in Mississippi, 365 days a year.  I work everyday from my home in Mississippi.  My employer is based out of Virginia.  It is a non-profit school in Virginia.   It is an online school, but it is just listed as a non-profit in Virginia.  I am a W2 employee.  I do not have any withholdings from Virginia.  To the best of my knowledge, the other employees that work in other states like Texas, only file in their home resident state.  The W2 I receive only has withholdings from the State of MS, and I do not have any withholdings from Virginia.   I filed taxes in MS, but I am not sure if I need to also file in Virginia.  I never travel to Virginia or do anything in Virginia.  Do I need to file a non-resident tax return in Virginia?  I kind feel like I need to, but it seems no one else does it.  Am I missing something.  I hope I am cause I don't want to be double taxed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Virginia non-resident tax filing inquiry

If Virginia was a state that had a 'convenience of employer rule' then you would be required to file a nonresident return for VA in addition to you resident state.

But it isn't one so you are only required to file in your resident state.

What is the convenience of the employer rule?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies