Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in South Carolina and work in Virginia, can Virginia tax my income? When I filed in 2017 they returned all of the taxed income throughout the year

I live in South Carolina but work in Virginia, my income was taxed in Virginia throughout the year.  Last year, in 2017, when I filed my taxes all of the tax Virginia took out of my paycheck was returned to me so I could apply it to my South Carolina taxes.  Should this be the same for my 2018 taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I live in South Carolina and work in Virginia, can Virginia tax my income? When I filed in 2017 they returned all of the taxed income throughout the year

Virginia may tax your income.  South Carolina may also.  The provision you refer to are when two states have a recirpocal agreement, which does not exist between Virginia and South Carolina.  The normal arrangement is that your resident state (South Carolina) may tax all of your income no matter where you earn it, and your nonresident state (VA) may tax any income earned there.

However, to reduce the effect of double-taxation, your resident state will allow you to claim a credit for the tax you pay to Virginia.  Prepare the VA nonresident return first so that TurboTax can transfer this credit over to the SC resident return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies