turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MarkF6
Returning Member

Virginia Amended return - TurboTax not migrating VA tax paid in April

I'm having a problem with my Amended Virginia state return, which I must file electronically.  I received an additional financial statement after filing & paying my federal & state taxes in April, so I owe more federal & state taxes.

I'm processing amended returns, but TurboTax is not migrating the Virginia tax I paid in April onto the amended Virginia return (Form 760).  Oddly, the correct amounts are displayed at the top center of the TurboTax program's window (Federal Tax Due/ VA Tax Due), but not within the forms/step-by-step data.  TurboTax is processing the Federal return correctly, but not the state return.  It's processing the Virginia amended return as if I didn't make a payment in April.

What do I need to update/edit so when I file the amended return electronically the correct amount is deducted from my bank?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Contact support if you don't get an answer here by tomorrow.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

I just spent 2 hours on the phone with a TurboTax help CPA discussing this same issue.  According to her, it is OK for those numbers to disagree because Virginia instructs us to complete the form 760 exactly as if it were an original return.  They specifically ask us NOT to enter any payments or refunds from the original return when filing an amended return.  
Reference this:  https://www.tax.virginia.gov/amending-your-return

There is an "amended return worksheet" included in the return that is supposed to explain everything and those numbers are actually correct with the payment included.   It seems that one section of TurboTax 2023 knows about the Virginia instructions, but in another part they are ignored.

I've tried entering a bogus Estimated Tax payment or Extension payment to adjust the issue, but nothing brings things into balance.  

Regardless of how I juggle the numbers, TurboTax 2023 returns this error message when I try to transmit my amended return: 

"Tax Year 2023 transmissions are not available. TurboTax is not ready to process Tax Year 2023 for this return. "

My amended Federal return transmitted nicely.  Only Virginia is a problem.

I really don't want to print 50 pages and mail them to Virginia.   That return would probably be rejected anyway. 

TurboTax is broken and it needs to be fixed.  Is anybody listening?  

MarkF6
Returning Member

Yes, WileyWon, my eventual experience was exactly like yours.  After experimenting with TurboTax and not making the numbers "add up" I read the Virginia Dept Taxation's instructions, which in retrospect, I should have reviewed initially.  So as the VA Dept Taxations says, my amended VA 760 form does NOT include the amount I paid in April.  Instead, I placed this figure into line 1 of the "worksheet for amended returns".  TurboTax indicated the correct (I hope!) amount owed on the worksheet and the summary page.  When I tried to submit the taxes electronically, I received the same error message you did (Tax Year 2023 transmissions are not available...).   I ended up printing and mailing a hard copy of the amended VA return.  And just as you mention, sending the Federal amended return electronically worked fine.

Seems like TurboTax program is missing a section on the Virginia Worksheet for Amended Returns data.

An additional issue was that the number that TurboTax automatically placed into line 1 of the "worksheet for amended returns" seemed to be a random number unrelated to my tax data.  I have no idea where that was coming from and manually corrected it.

I spoke with Virginia Dept of Taxation today.  They will accept the amended return either electronically or by snailmail.   They did remind me, however, that for the electronic filing to be successful, my tax software would have to support electronic filing of amended returns.  Sadly, TurboTax fails on that.

So, I guess I'm on my way to the US Post Office to lick a stamp, the same way Benjamin Franklin filed his taxes.

The TTx CPA helper person I spoke with strongly advised me NOT to force-feed the tax payment into the return.  But, I just couldn't make myself sign a return that declares that I owe $1302 when, in reality, they owe me $170.   So, I entered the $1472 that I paid with my April return as "paid with extension".   Now it is up to the people in Richmond to get it all to flush out.   

A good rule to follow:  Never assume that the people processing your return have a lick of common sense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies