Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jeff087

VA State - Life Estate house sale

I sold my mom's house in Virginia in 2022 (she moved into a nursing home).  I was the Life Estate "Remainderman" listed on the deed.  My Federal taxes have been submitted.

My question...  Do I owe VA state taxes on the gains?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

VA State - Life Estate house sale

I suggest contacting an attorney as to your legal rights to ownership of the property as the  Life Estate "Remainderman."

Under the new rules, anyone can completely exclude up to $500,000 of gain on a joint return ($250,000 if filing singly). The gain does not roll over. Since the gain does not roll over, neither do the expenses and you do not need a lifetime of records. You do not need to be 55 to take advantage of the exclusion. There are new rules and limits to watch.

What are the Limits? You must sell your personal residence after May 6, 1997. “Sell” means settle.

You must own and occupy the property as your personal residence for at least two of the five years preceding the sale. The two years do not need to be continuous so long as the total periods aggregate two years or more. You could occupy for six months each year for four years to total your two years of occupancy.

Partial Exclusions The new law recognizes a partial exclusion if you fail to meet the two year use and ownership requirement or if you must sell more than once in two years. For instance, if you only used the property as your personal residence for one year instead of two, you could exclude half the amount of gain. The partial exclusion is only available if you sold due to change in your place of employment, health or to the “extent provided in regulations, unforeseen circumstances.”

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies