Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Evolvant

Utah State Income Tax vs Sales Tax

Utah collects a flat State Income Tax.  Pretty sure it's 4.65% this year.  My understanding is that if you pay more State Sales Tax that you can use this amount toward your tax liability.

Very Simple Example. 
Utah State Tax due (based on income) = $20,000
Employer withheld throughout the year = $21,000

Thus, $1000 return is created.

Last year an individual pays $30,000 in State Sales Tax (they buy a bunch of expensive things)

I'm pretty sure I've read you can use the $30,000 number (instead of the $21000), thus use Sales Tax Paid instead of Income Tax Paid in your return.  This then generating a $10,000 return ($30,000 - $20,000).

In the federal part of Turbo Tax it lets you identify this, state income tax vs sales tax as a write off.  However, it does NOT carry this number to your state taxes.  Only carries income tax paid forward.

Can you not do what I'm describing above?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

Utah State Income Tax vs Sales Tax

No, you cannot use your Utah sales tax paid as a credit against your Utah state income taxes due.

If you owe the Utah Use Tax, you may take a credit against that tax for sales tax paid to other states.  But that credit may only be taken toward your Utah Use tax, not toward your Utah income tax.

https://incometax.utah.gov/paying/use-tax

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies