turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wadeo7

Utah Credit for Taxes Paid to Other States

I'm a resident of UT and will be working for a VA based company in VA for less than 6 months but will be in VA for the total duration of the assignment. After doing some research I found that Utah requires a TC-40S to be filed in order to get a credit for taxes paid to another state. Is this something that Turbo Tax does when filing in multiple states? Is there a way to avoid my income being double taxed up front so I don't have to wait for a return to get my credit? My employers New Hire onboarding process had me fill out a W-4 for both UT and VA. Is that really necessary if all my income from that assignment will be earned exclusive in VA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Your resident state of UT can tax ALL your income, regardless of where you earn it.

VA can tax you as a non-resident on your earnings from the portion of your work actually (physically) carried out from a location inside VA.

TurboTax can handle this common situation.

You'll file a non-resident VA tax return in addition to your home state UT tax return.

You'll be able to claim a credit on your UT tax return for the taxes you pay to VA, so you won't be double-taxed.

When you actually do your state returns, complete the non-resident state return before you do your home state return, so that the program can calculate and apply the "other state credit" correctly.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, TurboTax (TT) prepares and includes form TC-40S as part of your UT state tax return.

No, there is no way to avoid the hassle of having to file two state (VA & UT) state tax returns.

Q.  Is there a way to avoid my income being double taxed up front so I don't have to wait for a return to get my credit? 

A.  Maybe.  Ask your employer to withhold only VA income tax.  UT withholding is not needed since UT will give you a credit.  But, don't be surprised if they say no.   

TomD8
Level 15

Since UT has a higher income tax rate than VA, and since you're only working in VA part of the year,  you may want to have your employer continue withholding for both states.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies