Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pyx_cs13

Unemployment repayment- not sure what amount to state that I paid back since I opted for my taxes to be withheld at the time that I would be paid

I opted to have 10% of taxes to be withheld from my unemployment so that- for example- if my total was $100, then $10 would be taken out (with $90 left). I was told by unemployment that I was determined to have been overpaid- so they took the money out of the account without having to contact me about me paying them (was still getting payments at the time). When I answer how much I had to pay back in Turbotax, would I need to account for the specific tax affecting my overpayment? 
Using my previous example, if for example $10 was collected (so that I kept $80)- would I say that I paid $10 or $10+tax* or $10-tax* where tax* represents the tax specifically for that overpayment. Please explain as if I was a kid (I have been getting really confused with this). Also- why does Box 1 of 1099-G form have my unemployment compensation be the pre-tax, pre-overpayment amount (e.g., the $100 instead of perhaps the $80)?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Unemployment repayment- not sure what amount to state that I paid back since I opted for my taxes to be withheld at the time that I would be paid

No. You will list the full amount of the unemployment that was repaid without regard to your federal withholding.  They would not adjust any repayment considering any tax withheld. The amount of federal withholding on your statement will be the correct amount to include as a tax payment on your tax return. Make no adjustment to the federal withholding.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies