turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

padropjs

Two-state income. If I was a part resident of NY and CA, made <$500 in NY and the majority of my income in CA, do I need to file for NY?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DS30

Two-state income. If I was a part resident of NY and CA, made <$500 in NY and the majority of my income in CA, do I need to file for NY?

Unfortunately yes you will need to file a part-year NY state income tax return if you have ANY amount of income (including NY sourced income) while a part-year resident of NY.

According to the NY Department of Revenue: You are required to file a NY part-year income tax return if you are a part-year resident with any income during your resident period or you had New York source income during your nonresident period and your New York adjusted gross income Federal amount column (Form IT-203, line 31) exceeds your New York standard deduction.

Some additional information about NY state income taxes:

NY taxes all the income reported when calculating NY state income taxes (whether resident, part-year resident or nonresident) but you will only be required to paid a portion of the total NY state income taxes calculated (your percentage of the total NY tax that relates to your NY source income only)

The way that the NY state income tax return works is that NY looks at all of your income from all sources and generates a total NY state income tax on all income. When NY is determining the actual NY state income taxes that you owe, NY multiples the total NY taxes on all income by the percentage of NY source income over all source income. So if all your income is $10,000 but NY source income is $8,000, NY will calculate the NY state income tax on $10,000 then multiply this total tax by your NY source income over total income ($8,000/$10,000) to get your percentage of NY state income taxes on your NY source income. So in this instance, your NY state income tax liability would be 80% of the total amount of NY taxes generated (on all income). That is why all your income is being reported on your NY state tax return.

You can preview your NY Tax summary to see what portion of the total taxes for NY you are actually paying

To preview NY Tax Summary:

• TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here
  • Under Tax Timeline, click on Continue your return
  • Go to "My Account" > "Tools"
  • Under the Tools Center, select "view tax summary"
  • Select "NY Tax Summary"

Check below for more information about filing a part-year state tax return (Please select "see entire answer" to see full answer)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302008

padropjs

Thanks for the quick response @TurboTaxDeeS ! Unfortunately I am still confused. The language I see on the NYS tax website is the following:

"If you are a New York State nonresident you must file Form IT-203, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return, if you meet any of the following conditions:

You are a nonresident with New York source income and your New York adjusted gross income Federal amount column (Form IT-203, line 31) exceeds your New York standard deduction. "

It appears the standard deduction is $3,100... which is higher than my source income in NY.

I don't see the "ANY source income" language that you have shared above. Can you help clear up the confusion? Thanks in advance.
DS30

The actual language from the NY Department of revenue website is given in the answer. The information you are quoting above is for NY nonresident filings only. (NY nonresident and part-year residents use the same NY state tax form but have different filing requirements). see this link for more information on part-year filings - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/part_year_residents.htm">https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/part_year_r...>.

So if you are actually a NY nonresident then you will not need to file an NY nonresident state income tax return if you do not meet these NY nonresident filing requirements.
padropjs

Two-state income. If I was a part resident of NY and CA, made &lt;$500 in NY and the majority of my income in CA, do I need to file for NY?

Ah I see, thanks for the clarification @TurboTaxDeeS . Minor but important detail!
DS30

Two-state income. If I was a part resident of NY and CA, made &lt;$500 in NY and the majority of my income in CA, do I need to file for NY?

You are very welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies