Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Durra
Returning Member

Turbotax seemingly applying out-of-state trust beneficiary income to the wrong state.

A relative of mine died last year, and I received an inheritance that consisted of interest, dividends, capital gains, and "annuities, royalties, and other nonpassive income or loss before directly apportioned deductions".  However, she lived in a different state than me; I live in Maryland and she lived in Illinois, with the trust matching her state.

I received K-1 and K-1-T forms to file my taxes with, and while doing my federal taxes I used Turbotax's step-by-step mode to input the K-1 form.  However, while doing my state returns, I realized that Turbotax had applied all of the various types of income to the Maryland return instead of the Illinois one.

Is that supposed to happen?  I'm a bit lost on how this kind of inter-state taxation works, so I'd like some help on what I need to do, if anything.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

Turbotax seemingly applying out-of-state trust beneficiary income to the wrong state.

You need to prepare your non-resident state return first in order to be able to allocate the income correctly.  To do this in TurboTax Online you can follow these steps:

1. Within your tax return click State in the black menu bar on the left of the screen
  2. Click Continue to the screen that lists both state returns
  3. Use the trash can icon to delete the resident state return (Maryland)
  4. Click Edit for the Illinois return and progress through the interview
  5. When you return to the Status of your state returns screen click Add another State and choose Maryland
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies