turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

7t9r743V
Returning Member

TurboTax Online - Virginia Individual Return with PTET Credit not available for E-File

TurboTax Online is telling me that my individual Virginia tax return is not available for e-file due to the fact that I have a Pass Through Entity Tax (PTET) credit. The error message states, "The return includes a Pass-Through Entity Elective Tax Payment credit. Required attachment Schedule VK-1 is not supported for electronic filing." See screenshot below:

Screenshot 2024-02-26 000320.png

The error message appears to be correct about the fact that the VK-1 form is required to be attached to the return when claiming a PTET credit, per Virginia's Schedule CR instructions:
"Pass-Through Entity Elective Tax Payment Credit: Enclose Form 502 Schedule VK-1."
https://www.tax.virginia.gov/sites/default/files/taxforms/individual-income-tax/2023/schedule-cr-202...

However, I couldn't find any documentation on Virginia's website stating that a VK-1 form can't be attached to a return when e-filing.

Is there really no way for me to just upload my VK-1 to TurboTax and have TurboTax include it as an attachment to the e-filing? If not, can this functionality be added? I'd really like to avoid having to print out and physically mail my return in because I'm sure I'll mess something up. One of the reasons I paid for the Premium edition of TurboTax Online is to make filing convenient and somewhat idiot proof. This scenario seems like something that should be supported.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

TurboTax Online - Virginia Individual Return with PTET Credit not available for E-File

I'm surprised no one answered the question. I file VA and also MD. I learned the hard way that TurboTax does not send the K-1 attachments. For MD, I have to always file by paper and attach the K-1. Now you and I both have to do the same for VA. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies