turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JacksTaxFacts
Returning Member

TurboTax NYC Form IT-219 does not work as currently programmed

It's  been a big headache to use TurboTax to generate the 2022 NYC IT-219 Form - "Credit for NYC Unincorporated Business Tax."  It seems the TurboTax programming for the form is incorrect, making it difficult to populate and submit with your tax return.  I did the best I could with manual work-arounds, and also reported the need for programming bug-fixes to Tech Support.   I'm posting my experience here in case it can help others, and also to help it get recognized and fixed by Tech Support.

The problems are in a couple of key areas.

1) Step-by-Step questions for entering your UBT paid is incomplete. The current programming only asks the first 4 of 5 questions that need to be answered (to calculate what you should have paid) and leaves off the most important question - "How much UBT tax did you actually pay?"  NYS IT-219 instructions specifically state partnerships can provide you with the amount paid and that's all you have to enter on Part I of the form.  (and skip questions 1-4 that TurboTax requires you to answer.) TurboTax does not give you that option.  Even worse, being unable to enter that information makes the form not work - it won't populate the tax data or perform calculations of the credit due.

2) TurboTax only allows you to enter information for a single partnership.  Unlike many other areas where tax information is entered into TurboTax, for the IT-219 UBT Credit form TurboTax does not ask if you want to enter other partnerships where the tax credit is due to generate additional form IT-219s for those partnerships and those tax credits.  NYS rules required you to report all partnerships that paid the UBT. Again, that seems like a pretty basic oversight since in so many other areas TurboTax always asks if you have more to enter before declaring the data entry 'Done'.  (eg. - W-2s, 1099s, K-1s, etc.)

3) Because of the way the form is currently programmed, it would not self-populate and perform calculations with the Partnership data I entered in Step-by-Step.  I had to create a fake Beneficiary entity and tax credit in Step-by-Step to get the form to populate, manually enter the tax I paid through the partnership using 'Open Forms' instead of Step-by Step, and then delete the fake beneficiary data to make the form represent the credit I was actually due.  That workaround took a while to figure out!

4) Since NY requires me to report all partnership data and TurboTax won't allow me to create additional IT-219s for the additional partnerships I plan to report the additional partnerships using blank form IT-219s filled in by pencil, not with TurboTax. That will meet NYS / NYC requirements, but I won't be able to include those tax credits in my actual 2022 TurboTax tax documents and calculations.  I'll just have to pay the extra tax.

I spent about 4 hours on the phone with Tech Support in multiple calls trying to get this to work and this was the best we could do.  I asked that they put these issues on their programming bug-fix list so that even if it doesn't get fixed in time for 2022 taxes, it gets fixed for next year and beyond.  We'll see if that happens.

I hope this is helpful.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies