Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yavuzkal
Returning Member

Turbotax Filed My State tax Wrong NJ NY state taxes not considered.

I was filing my taxes for 2021 and thanks to Turbotax, I submitted a state tax that shows I owe tons of tax, although I paid it through another state.

The story is as follows;

I'm an NJ resident who works in NY.

Turbotax helped me file Federal and NJ taxes. I submit my taxes for both of those.

Federal tax return accepted and NJ tax is pending. I hope they will reject it. I already paid that amount to NY and my total state tax is right now almost nothing, compared to what TurboTax calculated.

Turbotax didn't bother to deduct the taxes I paid to NY and I only realized this when I went ahead and filed a state tax return for NY.

I'm not a tax expert but I like to do my thing on my own. 

Turbotax charged me for filing taxes but yet it doesn't check if I paid my state taxes or not.

Yes, I'm personally responsible and I should've checked it.

However, I want to spot a light on the fact that this is a paid product, and it should have popped and asked me to file a NY state tax before letting me file the state taxes.

Now my NJ state tax is pending and I'm hoping that they will reject it. Otherwise, I feel like I'm going to have to pay that tax and file for a return which is not something I'm happy to hear.

The biggest frustration is this:

I pay Turbotax extra to help me file my taxes instead of going to free tax filing sites.

Turbotax punishes me by not even answering my calls. 

I tried to reach out to them several times and I got nothing except robot call responses.

Honestly, things were way easier when I was filing my taxes with my accountant.

I don't think it's worth spending all those money on TurboTax and not even getting a proper response or feedback.

MY accountant was charging me less and he would have provided any support I would ask.

Plus + we wouldn't be filing the taxes before we make sure all aspects are covered.

Thank you, Turbotax for taking my money but not making sure my taxes were logically correct.

I guess in their defense, I should've paid way more and bought better service products so that I could get an agent checking my taxes. 

I'm so upset and angry.

What will make me happy;

Turbotax reaches back to me and helps me withdraw the pending state tax which was submitted without considering the other state taxes I paid to NY.

PS: I can't even finish filing NY state tax because clearly, we are waiting for one document to be finalized by 3/3/2022.

I don't know why this is not the first thing that pops on my screen and lets me wait until 3/3/22.

I'm sooo annoyed.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Turbotax Filed My State tax Wrong NJ NY state taxes not considered.

Your New Jersey return can be amended if it needs to be.  Once you've finished the New York return go ahead and amend your New Jersey return and see how it comes out and is changed.  Then, once New Jersey has processed the return, you'll find out whether they caught the error with your New York taxes or not.  If they didn't you'll have the New Jersey amended return all ready to file and you can send it in right away

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies