turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo tax "recommended" that I should use the Standard Federal Deduction this year, but Itemized Federal Deduction I will improve my combined Federal & State of Georgia total return by $702...Why would the program only take into consideration

Turbo tax "recommended" that I should use the Standard Federal Deduction this year, but if I use the Itemized Federal Deduction I will improve my combined Federal & State of Georgia total return by $702...Why would the program only take into consideration for the highest Federal return, but not Federal & State combined??
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

Turbo tax "recommended" that I should use the Standard Federal Deduction this year, but Itemized Federal Deduction I will improve my combined Federal & State of Georgia total return by $702...Why would the program only take into consideration

Many, but not all, states let you take a different deduction than what you took on the federal. For example, Arizona lets you itemize even if you took the federal standard deduction.

When starting your state taxes in TurboTax, we'll ask which deduction you want to take, assuming your state gives you that option.

Related Information:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies