turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

babytam

Trouble reporting Foreign Earned Income on 540NR: Schedule CA

In the past years, Turbo Tax helped me moved the Foreign Earned Income (qualified for exclusion for Federal) to 540NR.  But this year, it even told me that I don't need to report CA state tax return.  When I insist on adding CA State tax return, it placed the Foreign Earned Income (FEI) into "combat zone foreign earned income exclusion" which is not true.  Hong Kong, China was not a combat zone in 2023.  So I followed an advice from this community and click on "forms" on the upper right corner to look at the schedule CA.  It listed the FEI in column A but I can't edit it to become 0 so that I can move the amount to column C.
What can I do?  What should I do?  Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
babytam

Screenshot (2504).pngScreenshot (2506).png

babytam

I'm actually confused why it says "combat zone foreign earned income exclusion" is $186,573.  Where did they get that number?

Screenshot (2507).png

babytam

Never mind.  I figure out my mistake now.  The FEI does not need to be taxed in CA so it should be in column A.  The $183k shown on the "Combat Zone FEI exclusion" is hinting to me that I made a mistake on Form 2555 because I accidentally reported the FEI 3 times.  I don't know why Form 2555 line 23 had "NIL" therefore forcing me to put a number there.  Once I deleted "NIL", it lets me move on.  So now I'm reviewing both 1040 and 540NR again for any mistake before filing.  Thank you for reading.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies