Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In 2017 I lived and worked in Idaho, but in July, moved to Colorado, but continued working for the same office in Idaho remotely. How do I go about filing my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In 2017 I lived and worked in Idaho, but in July, moved to Colorado, but continued working for the same office in Idaho remotely. How do I go about filing my taxes?

You will file a Federal return as you normally would.

In the Personal Information section, you will put the current address and answered when you moved.

You will have two part-year resident returns.  The first one, Idaho, you will report and pay taxes on income earned in Idaho while you lived then and then do Colorado, and you will report income while you lived in Colorado.

The income you earned in last half of year is Colorado income as it is was earned in Colorado.  It does not matter where the employer is, just where you lived and earned it. 

TurboTax can do all of this for you.  Just take your time and you will be fine. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You will file a Federal return as you normally would.

In the Personal Information section, you will put the current address and answered when you moved.

You will have two part-year resident returns.  The first one, Idaho, you will report and pay taxes on income earned in Idaho while you lived then and then do Colorado, and you will report income while you lived in Colorado.

The income you earned in last half of year is Colorado income as it is was earned in Colorado.  It does not matter where the employer is, just where you lived and earned it. 

TurboTax can do all of this for you.  Just take your time and you will be fine. 

Thank you so much! As a follow up, would I need two W2 forms from my employer to delineate the difference, or can I just put in the date I moved and split the income appropriately (I have the exact numbers as there was about a month of time in between while I was moving)

If your employer gave you one W-2, normally they break out what was earned in one state and then have another line for the 2nd state.  If they did not do this, then you will need to do this.  Also, make sure now the employer has you as Colorado resident and they take out only Colorado state income tax and none for Idaho.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies