Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Taxexempt interest on line 2a of my federal Form 1040 is not carrying forward to Line 13 of Wisconsin Form 1. How do I input it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Taxexempt interest on line 2a of my federal Form 1040 is not carrying forward to Line 13 of Wisconsin Form 1. How do I input it?

You enter it when you enter the tax-exempt interest for your federal return.  You need to indicate what percentage of the tax-exempt interest is from WI sources.  As you work through the section, if you have entered the exempt interest income from Box 8, the software will ask what state the interest came from.  If it is all from WI report that, otherwise check the box for more than one state and proceed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did enter it for my federal return and I entered it as being from multiple states.  As I stated in my original question, the information is not carrying forward to Wisconsin, Form 1.  

You need to figure out how much of it is from wisconsin, and split your entry into wisconsin tax-exempt income, and more than one state income.  I assume you mean it is not being reported properly on Line 2 of WI form 1, not Line 13.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I did mean Line 2, thanks.  Since I've marked it all as MX (multiple states), I would think that the entire amount would come over to Line 2.  I assume that I should just over-ride Line 2 and enter the amount myself.  It really does not seem to work properly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should add that the tax-exempt interest is from several muni bond mutual funds and EFTs, so there is no way to know what state they were actually paid by.

Ok, you should mark it as XX (which means more than one state) if you want it all to be taxed by WI.  MX means it is broken into two states, one of which might be Wisconsin.  If you want to get credit for the WI portion that wouldn't be taxable by WI, your broker will have provided supplemental information on the bond funds or etf that shows the percentage by state.  So, if you had $1000 in interest from a fund, and it indicated 3% was from Wisconsin, for that fund you'd say $30 WI and $970 XX.  Or $1000 as XX if you don't care about the WI interest being exempt from WI tax.

Since you have the download version you can actually go into the Forms and see what is there.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  I did manage to figure that out on my own.  I had to go into the actual 1099 form and change the state code to XX.  I appreciate your help and patience.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies