Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Drew100
Returning Member

Taxes

I still would like to know how to determine what percentage of capital gains reported by a mutual fund is from US obligations.  Vanguard and Columbia could not answer that question.  They give you information about the percentage of ordinary dividends that is from US obligations. The information is needed to complete my MD state taxes.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Taxes

Q. I still would like to know how to determine what percentage of capital gains reported by a mutual fund is from US obligations?

A.   Vanguard and Columbia  gives you information about the percentage of ordinary dividends that is from US obligations. That is your answer. 

If you have a 1099-DIV, from a mutual fund, and a portion of the dividends are from U.S. securities; after entering your 1099-DIV, you will reach a screen: "Tell us if any of these uncommon situations apply to you". Check the box "A portion of these dividends is U.S. Government interest".  

You have to manually calculate the amount, to enter, by multiplying box 1a times the percentage you got from Vanguard and Columbia.

Drew100
Returning Member

Taxes

Thank you for the information.  One follow-up question that maybe you can help with.

Your answer addresses ordinary dividends but how do I determine what percentage of capital gains is from US obligations?  The mutual companies I contacted were not able to answer this question. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Taxes

Q. How do I determine what percentage of capital gains is from US obligations? 

A.  It's none (0%). 

It's only the interest from  U.S. obligations that state tax exempt. What some mutual fund companies label as dividends is actually just interest. 

Drew100
Returning Member

Taxes

Can you explain why it is 0%?  If it is always 0%, why would MD tax instructions say to include only dividends attributable to interest OR capital gains from US Gvt obligations? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Taxes

Q. Can you explain why it is 0%? 

A. In your case, it's 0 because your mutual fund company didn't provide you a number.

A more accurate general answer is "it's almost always zero''. It's rare that a mutual fund company will report that.  But, investors who actually trade US bonds could see a reportable gain. 

Drew100
Returning Member

Taxes

Thanks. 

"In your case, it's 0 because your mutual fund company didn't provide you a number."

and

"A more accurate general answer is "it's almost always zero''.

I've done a ton of research online and have not come across these statements.   Can you explain further?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies