Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxable pension not showing up on state (AL) return for 2023

Greetings & thanks in advance for reading (& esp. answering):

Two pensions I entered during the federal interview are showing up correctly. They show up on the data-entry screens on the Alabama section. Within the Alabama section, I've checked & rechecked that I indicated one pension is taxable in AL and one pension is not taxable (teacher retirement). The taxable pension does not show up on the AL return. That pension will not affect my tax liability ($0) in AL, but I'm concerned about a possible error causing the return to be rejected.

I think I could directly edit the form but don't know how that would affect the functions of the program.

I entered the tax-exempt pension first when I did the federal section, but it didn't matter there because both were subject to federal tax. I wondered if marking the first pension "exempt" in the state section somehow affected both pensions. I thought about deleting both pensions in federal & state, stepping through TT's checks & reviews, & then reentering both pensions in the opposite order.

Any ideas? 

Thanks!

Eddie

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Try deleting your Form(s) 1099-R and reentering them.  After reentering them pay close attention to any followup questions or prompts.

To delete a form in TurboTax,

1. Log in, and choose Tax Tools, then Tools on the left side of your screen.
  2. In the Tools Center, choose Delete A Form.
  3. In Review Form List, find the 1099-R and choose Delete, if it's there. ...
  4. On the screen Delete Selected Form, select Delete.

Here's where to enter your 1099-R in TurboTax:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. In the Federal section, select Wages & Income.
  3. Scroll to locate Retirement Plans and Social Security.
  4. Select Start or Revisit next to IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

You can also find the 1099-R section using Search. Open your return, enter 1099-r in the search bar, and select the Jump to 1099-r link.

Click here for information on the taxability of your retirement withdrawal.

Click here for where to enter your Form 1099-R

Click here for the instructions for Forms 1099-R.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for answering even though the answer didn't address my problem.

I FIGURED IT OUT!!! In case anyone else has trouble with this and the obscure way I found the answer, here it is.

If you have taxable pension in Alabama, to get to the right line on Form 40, it must pass through Schedule RS.  Schedule RS is NOT in the TT list on the left side of the page under the heading "Forms in my return." To get to it, you must be in forms view, navigate to (for 2023) Form 40, Part 1-Other Income on page 2, line 4. Click in the blank as if you're entering a number directly. A small magnifying glass will pop up to the left of the field. Click on the magnifying glass. Voila! There's Schedule RS. 

If you've trusted TT for years to file your taxes &/or you're recently over 65, you probably haven't read the instructions for filling out Form 40 for a long time. AND you probably didn't know that Alabama excludes the first $6,000 of pension if it meets all the requirements. If you have a pension with an annual total under $6K (& no other taxable pension) you could go nuts trying to figure out why it didn't show up on Form 40.

In my case, because of a tax-exempt teacher pension, Alabama's exclusion of social security, and this additional small pension (<$6K) disappearing, I ended up with about -$12K AGI (yes, negative AGI). That little pension couldn't affect my $0 tax liability, but I was totally confused why it didn't show up.

I hope this explanation is clear enough. Maybe it will save someone some grief. Maybe TT will make Schedule RS show up on the list. 

Best wishes.

Eddie

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies