Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PHenninge

tabor tax colorado 2023

I have finished my taxes and my daughters taxes.  We did not know you had to add line 34 to get the tabor refund.  How do we correct our taxes to get the refund?  Also she forgot a digit on her account.  How does she correct this to get her refund deposited correctly?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

tabor tax colorado 2023

It’s possible to go through the Colorado portion of TurboTax and give answers that will disqualify you for the credit.  To establish your eligibility for the Colorado sales tax refund (TABOR) in TurboTax Online, follow the instructions below.  Take special note of step 6.  The question asks whether you were incarcerated in Colorado for 180 days or more in 2023. 

1. Open TurboTax Online
  2. Select Tax Home in the left pane
  3. On the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen, select the dropdown on the right side of the State Taxes box, then select Start, Continue, Review/Edit, or Pick up where you left off
  4. Proceed through the state screens.  (If you come to the Your 2023 Colorado taxes are ready for us to check screen, select Edit to the right of Credits and taxes)
  5. Select Done with credits and taxes on the Take a look at Colorado credits and taxes pageand continue the state interview
  6. On the Qualifying for the Colorado state sales tax refund page, select No if you haven't been incarcerated in Colorado for 180 days or more during the tax year.  A lot of people seem to not read this screen and answer incorrectly
  7. If appropriate, select Yes on the Qualifying for the Colorado sales tax refund screen. 
  8. If you qualify, the You're getting the Colorado sales tax refund! screen should generate.  Select Continue
  9. Continue through the state questions

Note:  If you don't come to the screen in step 5 above while reviewing your return, select Start or Revisit next to Sales Tax Refund when you come to the A few things before we wrap up your state taxes screen.

See 2023 TABOR Refund in the Colorado Department of Revenue's Taxpayer's Bill of Rights (TABOR) Information to view the sales tax refund requirements.

As far as your daughter’s Direct Deposit information, if she hasn’t filed her return yet, she can still update it.

To update her Direct Deposit information, see the TurboTax Help article Where do I enter my bank's routing or account number? for guidance.

If she’s already filed her return, no changes can be made.  Her refund method can't be changed after filing.

PHenninge

tabor tax colorado 2023

Thank you.  We have both finished filing.  Looks like there is nothing we can do.  I will find a way to get her refund from the sate another way and hopefully our tabor. 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

tabor tax colorado 2023

You will need to contact the Colorado Department of Revenue to see what to do, since the current requirements are that you have to file a tax return. If you have to file an amended Colorado return, please see the comments below.

"How do I amend my state tax return?"

Note that TurboTax supports e-filing amended returns in Colorado.

You need to go all the way through your Colorado interview to get the credit and answer two questions:

There two screens near the end of the Colorado interview that you have to pass through and make the correct answers to trigger the Colorado Sales Tax Refund:

1. "Qualifying for the Colorado state sales tax refund" (this is where the question about days incarcerated is)

2. "Qualifying for the Colorado sales tax refund" (where you have to indicate your filing date)

Once you have clicked on Yes on the second screen, the TABOR refund will be added.

Let this be a lesson for all TurboTax users, that when you start a section in TurboTax, that you finish it.

P.S. I assume that your daughter can re-enter her back account number in the amendment process. This is a life lesson, double and triple check what you are entering and get someone else to look at it. I would ask my cats but the little rascals just laugh at me...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies