Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Student Tax Filing Question

I am originally from Hawaii, but moved to Oregon 3 years ago to attend university full time. While in Oregon I have maintained a full time job, as well as my own place (apartment rental). All of my income has been made in the state of Oregon and no income has been made in the state of Hawaii. For tax purposes, would I still have to file a return for Hawaii, or would it be acceptable to file only for Oregon being that I have lived and worked here for the past 3 years? I only ask as, being a student makes this a little confusing for me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15

@jkgreenleaf wrote:  "I do not have plans to move back to Hawaii."

Once you have "abandoned" your domicile in Hawaii and established it in Oregon, for tax purposes you've become a resident of Oregon and a non-resident of Hawaii.  Hawaii taxes non-residents only on Hawaii-source income.  If you as a non-resident have no Hawaii-source income, then you have no tax obligation to the State of Hawaii.

Your domicile is your main, primary home, as evidenced by your actions.  You can only have one domicile at a time.  It is advisable for you to obtain an OR drivers license, OR license plates, an OR voters registration, etc, so as to support your OR residency if questioned.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Do you provide more than half of your support?

Do you have an Oregon drivers license?

Where are you registered to vote?

Do you plan to go back to Hawaii to live?

Hello!

I provide all support for myself with no help from my parents. I am not claimed as a dependent.

I currently do not have an Oregon drivers license, but plan to in the near future once my Hawaii license expires.

I believe I am currently registered to vote in the state of Hawaii. I do not have plans to move back to Hawaii.

In the past, I have filed as a nonresident for Oregon and a resident of Hawaii for tax purposes (being that I am a student) I just wanted to see if this would change since I’ve lived here for an extended amount of time.

thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

You would be on safer ground by having an Oregon driver’s license and be registered to vote there but could probably pass as an Oregon resident. Worse case scenario is that Hawaii would insist that you file there. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

I agree with Bsch4477, you are, most likely, now an OR resident. 

"Being a student makes this a little confusing for me".  Yes, most of the time, being away at school, is considered a temporary absence from your parent's home and you are still considered a resident of their state of residence.  The details of your situation belie that rule. 

TomD8
Level 15

@jkgreenleaf wrote:  "I do not have plans to move back to Hawaii."

Once you have "abandoned" your domicile in Hawaii and established it in Oregon, for tax purposes you've become a resident of Oregon and a non-resident of Hawaii.  Hawaii taxes non-residents only on Hawaii-source income.  If you as a non-resident have no Hawaii-source income, then you have no tax obligation to the State of Hawaii.

Your domicile is your main, primary home, as evidenced by your actions.  You can only have one domicile at a time.  It is advisable for you to obtain an OR drivers license, OR license plates, an OR voters registration, etc, so as to support your OR residency if questioned.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Thank you all for your help and insight! I do own a vehicle in the state of Oregon and have it registered with Oregon plates. As you all suggested, I will be getting my drivers license updated soon. Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies