Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State Taxes

I did for my federal amended and efiled. The amount is for $36 dollars. And it was from the IRS for an overpayment. It did not change my tax liability still owed nothing.

I cannot seem to add that 1099 INT for $36 to my PA taxes for TT Online. The liability will probably be 0. But do i need to add it?  In the state amend it adds it in then subtracts it out. to get the same balance as the original.

Any help? So confused just want them done.

Thanks!

J

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

State Taxes

Can you clarify what the $36 is?

Is this the tax you owe or a refund or interest?

Did you file? Did you owe or were you getting a refund?

Did you amend that return? Did you amend your 2023 return or something else? 

You say 36 dollars for overpayment, so what is the 1099-INT?

What year did you get the 10990-INT?

Did you file for the state and do you need to amend that return as well?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

State Taxes

Hello,

What happened was I finished my taxes early this year. I e-filed federal and needed to mail in the state. I have them printed and ready to be mailed but  was waiting.

Then, I received in the mail a 1099 INT from the IRS. The IRS paid me $36 in interest for an overpayment that I made. They said I needed to file it on my taxes. So, I amended the federal with the change in income, adding the 1099 INT, but it did not change my tax liability. So I did not owe them any additional money.

So I was trying to add this to my state tax but it is not adding it on TT. I don't know why.

But when I go through the state amend it adds it in as $36 in the first collumn  then subtracts it out in the second, so there is no change in the third. So the amend is the same taxable income as the original. 

So I have the availability to change it on the original but it won't. And the amend seems to be off as well.

So I don't know if I can send the original to the state without adding the INT for $36 from the IRS. I will probably not owe any money in state tax. But not sure if they will fix the difference or assess it?

I was thinking of deleting the state and starting over so it imports all the federal. But not sure if it will delete other important info. 

Thanks!

J

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

State Taxes

Yes, that sounds like the state return is saying you already had that interest reported on the original state return. 

Did the 1099-INT "stick" on the amended Federal return? 

Did you file the amended Federal return? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

State Taxes

I amended the federal. And when I checked the forms and docs for the fed, the INT is there under income. So that is ok.

But on the state return line 2, Interest Income, it is not included, complete Schedule A if required. And there is no schedule A for TT.

So I don't know if it was included in another way or the amount on the state taxes that I don't see. 

So, I'm not sure if I should delete and start the state again and what that will do? 

Delete and start over hoping it will roll in from the federal tax?

Or just send the original. The amount is so small that they may just adjust it since I don't owe any money?

Thanks!

J

State Taxes

I guess the best bet is to start the state over and see if TT transfers it over. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies