State Taxes

State Taxes

My husband works in Michigan and we live in Indiana. The software stated that I needed to file a Michigan return. Michigan is a reciprocal state and it is stating that we owe money because I do not receive the forms with information the return is asking. How do I get rid of this so I can file my Indiana and Federal Taxes?

State Taxes

If you live in Indiana and work in Michigan, your employer should be withholding Indiana tax, not Michigan. If Michigan tax was withheld from your husband's pay, you will still need to file a non-resident Michigan tax to get a refund of those state taxes, even though Michigan and Indiana are reciprocal states.

If the employer did not withhold Michigan state taxes, then you do not need to file a Michigan nonresident return and can delete the state from your return.

To delete a state:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on State on the left hand side.
  3. Use the trash can icon next to Michigan to delete the return. 

State Taxes

Yes it did