turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JanR502

State taxes hybrid work between 2 states

Hi,

I am looking for guidance on what to do for my state withholding for hybrid work when it crosses states?  Both my husband and I are permanent residents of Wisconsin, but do hybrid work for companies located in Minnesota. The hybrid arrangement is 60% (3 days per week) in office in MN and 40% (2 days per week) at home in WI.  **Note, my husband only started this at the beginning of October 2024, prior to that he was 100% at home in WI. 

What should we be doing for our tax withholding?  Each company by default takes MN withholding, and we added extra withholding on his check for WI. But now that we are both on the same schedule, what do I do on withholdings?  Do I based our income on count of days in office vs st home?  And how does employer paid holidays and PTO play into the equation?

Any guidance helps!

Thank you. 
janR

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomD8
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Since you are residents of WI, all your income is taxable by WI, including your earnings from MN.

MN can tax the portion of your income earned from work physically performed from a location in MN.  (e.g., if 60% of your income derives from work carried out within MN, then 60% of your work income will be taxable by MN).

WI will give you an "other state credit" for the taxes you pay to MN on the income taxed by both states.

Thus you should definitely request withholding for MN.  Since the "other state credit" will reduce your WI tax bill significantly, whether or not you should also withhold for WI will depend on the actual numbers.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I'll page @AmeliesUncle. Please check back later.

TomD8
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Since you are residents of WI, all your income is taxable by WI, including your earnings from MN.

MN can tax the portion of your income earned from work physically performed from a location in MN.  (e.g., if 60% of your income derives from work carried out within MN, then 60% of your work income will be taxable by MN).

WI will give you an "other state credit" for the taxes you pay to MN on the income taxed by both states.

Thus you should definitely request withholding for MN.  Since the "other state credit" will reduce your WI tax bill significantly, whether or not you should also withhold for WI will depend on the actual numbers.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies