Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

state tax question

I lived in the district of columbia for all of 2019.  However, for the first half of the

year, state taxes were taken out (for virginia).  Do I need to file a tax return for virginia? I didn't

live there in 2019?  Or, will I just get the virginia tax amount refunded thru my DC return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

state tax question

If it was included on your W2 as Virginia wages, and you had Virginia taxes withheld, but you never lived or worked in Virginia, you need to ask your employer to correct your W2.

If you cannot get it corrected, I would recommend that you go ahead and file as a non-resident in Virginia and claim the taxes paid on your DC return.

Here is a link to the Virginia Non Resident Filing Requirements:  Virginia Non Resident Filing Requirements

TurboTax generally recommends that you file your non resident state return first, in order to ensure that out of state tax credits to calculate correctly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

state tax question

If it was included on your W2 as Virginia wages, and you had Virginia taxes withheld, but you never lived or worked in Virginia, you need to ask your employer to correct your W2.

If you cannot get it corrected, I would recommend that you go ahead and file as a non-resident in Virginia and claim the taxes paid on your DC return.

Here is a link to the Virginia Non Resident Filing Requirements:  Virginia Non Resident Filing Requirements

TurboTax generally recommends that you file your non resident state return first, in order to ensure that out of state tax credits to calculate correctly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies