Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1l0v3lucy

State Tax Form

I submitted my taxes in January. It kept prompting me to apply for state taxes eventhough the instructions started with "It looks like you do not need to submit state taxes" (loose wording). So, my return says it was accepted, but I'm still getting the notification and suggestion to file Tennessee State Tax. It says something about dividends and interest- I'm not for sure if I qualify for that-, but when I clicked the more info link it sent me to turbotax home webpage. I want to prevent assuming it was submitted and accepted when, in reality, it was never sent and I get audited or something; All because I, unknowingly, didn't file a required state tax. 2/272021 Tennessee 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

State Tax Form

Tennessee only taxes interest and dividend income as part of their Hall income tax.

The Hall tax would apply if you have interest and dividend income that exceeds $1,250 or $2,500 if you are filing jointly.

Please see the attached link for more information.

States without income tax for individuals

If your Tennessee interest and dividend income exceeds the amounts above, you would still need to file a return in Tennessee.  If it does not, you will not have a filing requirement in TN.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bill40Gandy
Returning Member

State Tax Form

I understand that Tennessee doesn't have a state income tax, however, one's dividends and interest are taxed. Turbotax sent me an automated email to finish filing my Tennessee Income Tax. It's a mystery how one can return to the State Filing Section of Turbotax to do this. It's only a couple of "Continue" from being completed.  I've worked over eight (8) hours trying to return to the State Income but it only returns me to the completed and filed Federal Income Data.   

PattiF
Expert Alumni

State Tax Form

Tennessee does not have a state income tax at all beginning with the tax year 2021. You cannot file a tax return for Tennessee starting in 2021.

@Bill40Gandy 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bill40Gandy
Returning Member

State Tax Form

I cut and pasted this from the Tennessee Revenue Department.  "The only forms of taxable income in Tennessee are interest and dividend income, and this law is being phased out in 2021 and beyond. However, regardless of this tax, it does not cover interest or dividends earned by retirement accounts, such as a 401 (k) or an IRA." 

Bill40Gandy
Returning Member

State Tax Form

HIT-1 - Tennessee Income Tax on Interest and Dividend Income

March 26, 2022 13:55

Tennessee imposes a limited income tax on certain dividend and interest income. There is no state income tax on earned income. 

Bill40Gandy
Returning Member

State Tax Form

Tennessee's Hall Income tax was repealed for tax periods that begin on January 1, 2021, or later. Please do not file a return for any tax year that begins on or after January 1, 2021. Thank You!!!  

Bill40Gandy
Returning Member

State Tax Form

Tennessee's Hall Income tax was repealed for tax periods that begin on January 1, 2021, or later. The Tennessee Department of Revenue said, "Please do not file a return for any tax year that begins on or after January 1, 2021."  Thank You!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies