Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State refund 2020

Goodmorning, my name is [removed PII] I would like to know why my state tax refund was modified, it says zero dollars to be refunded, can you please help me with this answer. Thank you

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

State refund 2020

We can't see your tax return but if your state income tax return was modified to a $0 refund, it may be due to an update in your state's software program. Review your state return to confirm your entries.

If you're showing a $0 refund, it's generally because you did not pay in more state income tax, through your paychecks, to get a refund. You paid in exactly the right amount of state income tax you actually should have paid in, to cover the income you earned.

• Contact your HR department or payroll department and fill out a new state withholding form if you want to get a refund in the future. Remember, a higher refund at tax time means less money in your paychecks throughout the year.

If it was a software update, it may have changed some of the tax treatment of items on your tax return. The following are some suggestions to help you find the reason why.

• Double check the amounts you entered into TurboTax to make sure they were entered correctly.
  • Do a state income tax return line by line comparison to see what is different this year versus last year.  
  • Your 2020 State Tax Withholding was lower than 2019.  
  • You deferred less income into your Employer-Sponsored Retirement Plan or Flexible Savings Plan.
  • You didn't qualify for a tax credit you received last year (or the credit amount decreased).
  • You removed a dependent.
  • You changed your filing status.
  • If you itemize, your Itemized Deductions are lower this year. or the standard deduction is lower.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies