turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rlw4
Returning Member

State itemized deductions versus federal standard deduction alabama

I am filing federal and Alabama state income taxes. I am using standard deduction on Federal and itemizing on Alabama state. I have non-cash charitable contributions that I am claiming on Alabama, so I need to include a Form 8283 with my state submittal.  But Turbotax is not including an 8283 with my state return if I file on-line. I can generate the form in Turbotax, but can't attach it to my Alabama return. What do I do besides just print out the Alabama return, add the 8283 as a printout, and mail the whole thing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

State itemized deductions versus federal standard deduction alabama

TurboTax transfers data from your federal return to your state return. You need to make sure that you enter all of your itemized expenses, including the non cash donations on your federal return. 

Go back through your federal return and check your donations to make sure all the information is there.  Remember that Form 8283 is only required when your non cash donations are more than $500.  To go back to your itemized deductions:

1. Open your tax return and select Federal
  2. Select Deductions & Credits
  3. Scroll to the bottom and select Continue

Once you're done reviewing your entries, select the State Taxes tab and review the state section. Pay close attention to the info, especially if you made changes to your federal return. There might be new sections that need to be completed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies