Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sneaky state efile charge increase

I was ready to file as of last week of February. But it kept saying there is some state tax form that needs update and until that happens I cannot file. Come March 1st, magically that issue is resolved and it walks me through the steps of e-filing and tells me that the state e-file charge is $20. But when the page comes up where you enter credit card info magically the charge increased to $25. I later found out that the prices go up on March 1st of every year. How convenient of them to hold me from filing until into March and then add a $5 surcharge for state e-filing. Shame on them

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I agree but this is a business and tt is free to charge whatever the traffic will bear. you can always send it in by mail for no extra charge.

Same thing I noticed too

The point is not that TT is a business and charge anything.  The issue here is more about misleading the consumer - When I am in TT, the fee is shown as $20 - However, when I am transferred to the CC screen, it shows up as $25 - That is the issue

it did a bunch of updates in March before I filed. Why couldn't they update state e-filing charges at that time?

The Early Bird discount ends on Feb 28 every year.  You could have paid the fee before March 1 to lock in the lower price.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies