Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jpc2

Should I file a Pennsylvania state return if I live in NJ and work in Philadelphia?

On my W-2, I see am amount for Philadelphia local income tax
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Should I file a Pennsylvania state return if I live in NJ and work in Philadelphia?

If you work in Philadelphia you will need to file in Pennsylvania for 2019, if taxes were withheld.

However going forward,  Pennsylvania and NJ do have a Reciprocal Tax Agreements that once you have completed the Form (see the link for more information and a link to the necessary form) you can request that your employer not withhold PA tax.  Then going forward, you would only need to file a NJ tax return.

Reciprocal Tax Agreements

Please be sure to complete the PA tax returns in TurboTax, before completing NJ tax return, so the credits calculate correctly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have a related question to this topic. I live in NJ, worked in Philadelphia for a few hours. So my W2 doesn't withhold any PA state tax; however, it shows the Local wages and tips amt (Box 18) and $54 local income tax in Box 19. Do I have to file in PA, and if I do buy the state download, will it prompt to do something for Philadelphia? I tested this out in H&R Block and it didn't trigger anything. So now trying Turbo Tax.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

No, you do not have to file the Pennsylvania return.  The Local taxes just show that your employer paid the Philadelphia City Tax so you do not have to file anything.

@Quick97

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies