Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Series I bond interest

I purchased an I bond when living in the state of GA in 2022.  When I redeemed it in 2023, I lived in the state of NC.  I redeemed early and had to forfeit the final 3 months of interest on the bond.  Those 3 months would have been NC interest if I use my relocation date.  Does this interest count as GA interest only or NC? Do I allocate this like bank interest, and it is reported in the state I lived in when the interest was paid (which would be NC)? I couldn't find any information on this topic.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Series I bond interest

Generally you report such things to the state you were living in at the time of disposition. Since you were living in North Carolina at the time of disposition, report it there. Of course, this will be reported on the federal return, so the income will flow through to the state.

Are you doing a GA part-year return? Is TurboTax specifically asking about this?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Series I bond interest

I am doing a part year GA return.  Turbotax prompted me to split all of our income by state and that's when I thought about the I bond interest - the screen where you split the income lumps this together with other interest as one number, so I am going through each item on a spreadsheet and trying to allocate it to the right state.  Thanks for your reply.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies