Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CP01
Level 2

Senior head of household credit for California

How can I get Senior head of household credit for my mom? Does she need to qualify for all 4 point? She is filling Married filling separately but my dad live in the same house not dead. She so qualifies for all except #3 can she still qualify for this credit. Thanks

All of the following must apply:

1. You’re 65 or older on December 31 of the tax year
  2. You qualified as head of household for at least 1 of the past 2 years
  3. Your qualifying person died in the past 2 years
  4. Your income is less than $89,931
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

No. The instructions say that all the conditions must be met.  It seems as if she did not qualify in the prior years either (#2), as her husband is still alive.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Head of Household is a filing status for federal and California returns for people who are not married and provide more than 50% of the household support for a qualifying person, such as a child or relative.  It gives a higher standard deduction than filing single or one person married filing separately. Your spouse cannot be your qualifying relative. They have their own standard deduction if filing separately, or together a higher deduction if filing jointly. 

Your mom would not qualify for Head of Household as a filing status, which is a requirement for the Senior Head of Household Credit

To qualify for Head of Household in California you must meet all of the following on December 31 of the tax year:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CP01
Level 2

Thanks for responding. Can I claim my dad as he doesn't receive much social security.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

It depends, to qualify as a relative for you to claim Head of Household filing status in the federal return, a qualifying relative could be:

• Your mother or father, if you're qualified to claim them as a dependent (even if you're not claiming them as such)

To be able to claim them as a dependent:

Your parent must first meet income requirements set by the Internal Revenue Service to be claimed as your dependent. 

• Your parent must not have earned or received more than the gross income test limit for the tax year.
  • The gross income limit for 2022 is $4,400.
  • Generally, you do not count Social Security income, but there are exceptions. If your parent has other income from interest or dividends, a portion of the Social Security may also be taxable.
  • You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

This TurboTax Help article has more information about claiming a parent as a dependent
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CP01
Level 2

Thanks, will try to go through the steps in turbotax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies