Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Seeking Help with Tax Return Correction in Illinois

Hi TurboTax Community,

I recently encountered an issue with my tax return, and I'm seeking guidance on how to address it. Here's a brief overview of my situation:

In 2022, I lived and worked in Illinois from January 1st to July 26th. After that, I moved to Wisconsin but continued working remotely for the same Illinois-based company. Due to our work-from-home policy still being in place and an oversight on my part, I did not submit an out-of-state notice to my employer until early 2023.

When filing my taxes using TurboTax, I reported this as a part-year residence with both Illinois and Wisconsin. TurboTax calculated a federal payment of $1,496 and an Illinois refund of $2,857. However, Illinois later sent me a Return Correction Notice. They corrected my return, stating that my W-2 indicated I lived in Illinois for the entire year 2022, possibly because I failed to inform my employer of my move in July. This correction significantly reduced my Illinois refund to $119.

I'm reaching out to the TurboTax community to seek advice on whether there's anything I can do to amend or edit my return to potentially qualify for a larger refund from Illinois. I understand that timely reporting of my move might have prevented this issue, but I'm hoping there's a solution available.

Thank you in advance for any insights or suggestions you can provide!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Doesn't the Illinois notice say how to contest those findings?  basically you would need documents  to show Illinois you were a part-year resident.

To prove residency in Illinois, you need to provide at least two proofs of residency1Examples of documents that can be used to prove residency include:

• Wisconsin tax return or federal tax transcript
  • Wisconsin driver’s license
  • Utility or rent bills for Wisconsin 
  • Wisconsin auto registration card
  • Residential lease in the applicant’s name
  • Corrected Wage and tax statements (IRS Form W-2c showing the breakdown between WI and Il wages
TomD8
Level 15

And if you haven't already done so, submit Illinois Form IL-W-5-NR to your Illinois employer.  Here's a link:

https://tax.illinois.gov/content/dam/soi/en/web/tax/forms/withholding/documents/currentyear/il-w-5-n...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies