Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tanatech
Returning Member

Section 1256 Contracts - how can I remove them from a non-resident MA return?

Hello,

I entered my Section 1256 contracts and straddles profit in the federal form as ususal.

Then I started on the MA state form - non resident state form. These profits are not MA source income - we don't live in MA and didn't earn the money there.

There is no option to Exclude these profits in Turbotax (desktop deluxe) as far as I can see. You can exclude interest, dividends, capital gains and stock sales, but not Section 1256 transactions. So, MA is taxing me on the profit earned.

How do I exclude the income from taxation by MA ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
tanatech
Returning Member

Section 1256 Contracts - how can I remove them from a non-resident MA return?

Let me clarify> On our 1040 Schedule D, we have profits on both Schedule D, Part I, line 4

and Schedule D, Part II, line 11. These are section 1256 contracts reported on federal form 6781.

We are filing as non-residents in MA, but when we step through the interview, we can exclude stock transactions from Schedule D from MA taxation, but there is no option to exclude these contracts from Schedule D Part 1 line 4, and Schedule D Part II line 11.

Turbotax, do you need to amend your MA state program? It seems this was left out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies