Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SE, live and work from home office in NY State, some clients in PA and in NYC

Hoping for some help.  I sent all my stuff to my CPA for Q2 withholding submissions to IRS, and the jurisdictions I'm responsible to pay.

I'm looking to figure out how much goes to PA (state), Local Services Tax to 3 separate jurisdictions in PA, and NYC (though NYC says, from what I can see, none).  Based on the allocation of income made so far and expected throughout the rest of the year, which I've segregated pretty well.

Who gets paid first, who gives credit (one to one?) for those payments?  Etc.  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Your CPA should figure this out for you. The CPA has the full picture of your tax situation.

How much you have to pay Pennsylvania will depend on how much time you actually spent working in Pennsylvania. Income from working in New York for a Pennsylvania client is not Pennsylvania income. If you never worked in Pennsylvania at all, you do not have to pay any Pennsylvania tax. But income you earned for work you did in Pennsylvania is Pennsylvania source income and you have to pay Pennsylvania tax on it.

Since you are a New York resident, if you do have to pay any tax to Pennsylvania you will get a credit on your New York resident tax return for part or all of the tax that you pay to Pennsylvania.

New York City tax does not apply to nonresidents of the city, even if you work in New York City.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Your CPA should figure this out for you. The CPA has the full picture of your tax situation.

How much you have to pay Pennsylvania will depend on how much time you actually spent working in Pennsylvania. Income from working in New York for a Pennsylvania client is not Pennsylvania income. If you never worked in Pennsylvania at all, you do not have to pay any Pennsylvania tax. But income you earned for work you did in Pennsylvania is Pennsylvania source income and you have to pay Pennsylvania tax on it.

Since you are a New York resident, if you do have to pay any tax to Pennsylvania you will get a credit on your New York resident tax return for part or all of the tax that you pay to Pennsylvania.

New York City tax does not apply to nonresidents of the city, even if you work in New York City.

Thank you.  And I agree.  I don't see anything the report that the CPA sent me (after I communicated to him the sales in PA, NYC, and the rest of NY state, as well as the expenses YTD (5/31) and the monies I have in my separate Tax Withholding account.  

Just sending me the file without the explanation that PA doesn't require anything if I don't set foot there (I'm a telehealth provider in Mental Health) and nor does NYS doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, ya know.

Thank you.  So, I'm really only interested in IRS and NYSTAX, it seems.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies